When I began this course, I had two specific goals: 1. Learn how to strengthen student learning and discussion by incorporating internet technology into my traditional mathematics course. 2. Seek to have skills applicable to my classroom and professional life that utilize multiple Web 2.0 applications. While I cannot say that every strategy has instantly been integrated into my classroom, I have developed knowledge of effective teaching strategies for my classroom that can incorporate technology.
In this course, there were seven different “themes” we covered about educational technology. Of these themes, I found two topics to be the most applicable to my teaching style and curriculum: classroom productivity tools and digital citizenship. To be honest, I had heard of very few Web 2.0 tools before this course. Of those that I knew of, I did not know how user-friendly the applications were and how quickly the applications could be set up. Personally, I extremely enjoyed RSS Readers. The idea of one site constantly updating me on current educational news, innovative math lessons, and other professional (and personal) information was fascinating. With every new tool I learned, I also tried to think “how is this applicable to my classroom?” As I noted in my Personal Technology Plan and Blog, I think an RSS Reader could also be linked to my class website to incorporate current math websites and math professions.
At the beginning of this course, I also discussed my hesitation for using the Internet in the classroom because of the legality factor. This course allowed me to learn about digital citizenship as well as how to discuss these factors with my students. Learning about Creative Commons was insightful. I did not realize there was a website, as well as several other programs such as Flicker, that allow users to share files while maintaining copyright wishes. From this course, I personally have the knowledge, ability, and resources to show my students how to practice digital citizenship and copyright ownership.
Doing so much work with the Internet taught me how to access different available tools (Google Docs, Twitter, SlideRocket, Blogger, Prezi) and provided me with insight on how these tools could be used within a classroom. I saw how Blogs could be a classroom collaboration tool. Students could post different math problems, obtained from real-world situations, and blog those problems and answers on the site. At the same time, other students could comment on problems they are experiencing with a particular topic. A teacher (or student) could post a lesson video from their Interactive Board on the Blog or design a presentation tool such as SlideRocket for further use outside of the classroom. The possibilities are endless. As a teacher, I have the ability to use these tools to really extend classroom learning beyond my physical classroom.
Originally I thought that my SIG group presentation could be an example of good teaching with technology because it explained so many powerful applications of an interactive whiteboard. Our presentation talked about video streaming, clickers, video recording, and available interactive lessons. While I believe that my presentation contained a wealth of knowledge, I now realize that my group got so caught up in providing information that we reversed a step in exemplifying today’s technology. While I am a visual learner and reader, technology allows information to be shown, not only typed out. Instead, I now visualize that most everything we discussed could have been “shown” through one video-taped lesson of a SMART Board “in action.” Or perhaps we could have used Prezi to “fly through” the main ideas highlighting the most exciting aspects of Interactive Whiteboards. I think that is the big idea I realized: technology can now take what seems mundane to a user or student and can turn information into exciting and engaging. This lesson taught me to step up my creativity for the future.
So have I managed to accomplish my original goals for this course? Yes and No! My Personal Growth Plan talked about my desire to know how to implement Web 2.0 into my classroom in a safe and educated manner. While I do believe that I have exposed myself to a variety of Web 2.0 tools and applications, I almost feel as though I have only dipped my toe in the material. I have so many additional features to learn. However, as many of the videos I watched taught me, I think it is okay if I learn some of these elements with my students. As I begin to use these tools, I will hopefully discover additional features and ideas of implementation for my classroom. Hopefully, my students will be able to teach me some additional elements as well! I am beginning to realize I don’t have to have all of the answers, I just need to have the desire to learn and engage my students according to the reality of today’s youth: we are living in and with technology!
So yes, I have begun to understand how to use Blog, RSS Reader, video recordings, and so forth in my teaching career. Yet I hope that I do not stop with just these few applications. I want to continue to explore mobile technology, podcasting, voicethread, and IPads in the classroom. I realize this will take time, so for my current semester I will focus on establishing my classroom RSS Reader, lesson video recordings, and classroom Blog. However, I won’t stop with these three features. Instead, I will continue to explore my other technological interests and continue to be excited for what other Web 2.0 features I will find in my future classroom.
I couldn't agree with you more! I'm a firm believer that everyone you come in contact with, has the potential to teach you something. I have picked up some incredible digital image editing tricks from one of my son's friends; and learned of some pretty awesome online educational gaming sites from my students. You are going to have to stay in touch - letting me know how this all turns out=8-)
ReplyDelete