Tutorial 1
Topic: Discovering some of the Web’s free virus scanners
One Thing to Share with Others: There are multiple free virus scanners that exist on the internet, often found through Google. In this tutorial alone, I was shown Housecall, Semantic Security Check, eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner, and Panda Active Scan. For the last two scanners, Internet Explorer was required, but overall these features are accessible to anyone. The virus scanner I would like to share more information about was Semantic Security Check. What I found interesting about this cite was that it allowed for two different things: Virus Detection Scan but also a Security Scan. The security scan allowed users to identify how safe their computer is in general online. I found that feature very useful. The other cites did not specifically address this feature during the tutorial.
Something that Surprised Me: I never realized that there were so many free programs online to help keep your computer secure. I was under the impression that the only way to check and see if your computer was safe required spending money on a program that protected that computer.
Tutorial 2
Topic: Using Windows Backup Utility
One Thing to Share with Others: I have often seen messages on my computer or heard other people refer to “backing up” their computer, but to be honest, I didn’t know what it was or how to do it. After watching this tutorial, I found that Windows has its own program on the computer to assist in backing up basics such as your Documents and Settings, all the way up to backing up all information on your computer, including Windows. To do this backup, simple follow these steps: Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Backup. It’s that easy!
Something that Surprised Me: If I choose to backup my files more than once throughout my computer’s life (which I should) there is a setting that allows me to only backup the files that were modified since my last backup. This feature also lets me backup the new files to my computer that were created since my previous backup. With this method, I don’t need to be spending the time backing up files that were backed up originally.
Tutorial 3 (2 parts)
Topic: 1. Downloading and setting up Spyware Blaster
2. Saving a system snapshot in Spyware Blaster.
One Thing to Share with Others: During this tutorial I learned about how to download a free Spyware Blaster from javacoolsoftware.com. Essentially, this program is a browser protection utility. Once installed, it provides quick protection from any major programs that are installing spyware. What I would like to share with others is a particular feature on Spyware Blaster called “System Snapshot.” What is very neat about system snapshot is that it allows a computer to save a snapshot of what the computer system looked like before any spyware attacked the system. Should spyware become a problem in the future, the user can simply go back to system snapshot and restore the computer to the way it was before the spyware attacked the system. Way to beat spyware!
Something that Surprised Me: I think I am a bit naïve to the world of computers. I never realized that the computer system could be saved using this snapshot feature as a protection devise. I thought we were supposed to protect, protect, protect. However, I didn’t realize we could have a backup feature to restore a computer in case our protection isn’t strong enough.
What do I need to do next? Get busy downloading these free programs for viruses and spyware and get busy backing up my computer!
Great recommendations! I agree - isn’t it just amazing on how many free programs there are out there. I haven’t paid for anti-virus protection since last April, when a friend of mine told me about AVG and Windows Defender. He has used these two programs for over 8 years without an infection. I'm looking forward to switching my big computer over to these two programs after my subscription to Norton runs out.
ReplyDelete